1. that is the reason why i’m not in favour of revising the plan.
2. his failure was due to the fact that he had not practised for a long time.
3. it is likely that it will rain in the evening.
4. how they went to america is what i want to know.
5. it occurred to him that he had left his key at home.
6. the reason why he came late was that he didn’t catch the early bus.
7. i’m looking forward to the day when tai wan returns to china.
8. he sat by the fire, reading a novel.
9. my dream came true at last.
10. it will not be long before we meet again.
11. the english play in which my students acted at the new year’s party was a great success.
12. i worked in a business where almost everyone is waiting for a great chance.
13. he kept looking at her, wondering whether he had seen her somewhere.
14. it is a great honor for beijing that the 2008 olympic games will be held in beijing.
15. timmy was fined a large sum of money by the judge for drunken driving.
16. although he thought he was helping us with the work, he was actually in the way.
17. most hotels have websites where you can find answers to your questions.
18. that most of languages are now threatened and may disappear is a serious matter to the people.
19. the fact that great britain is made up of three countries is still unknown to many people.
20. now that you’ve got a chance, you might as well make full use of it.
21. it was only when i reread his poems recently that i begin to appreciate their beauty.
22. as is reported in the newspapers, talks between the two countries are making progress.
23. they came to the conclusion that not all things can be done by a computer.
24. smoking does great harm to our health.
25. only then did he realize his mistakes.
26. come and see me whenever you are convenient.
27. i thought jim would say something about his school report, but he didn’t mention it.
28. by the end of last year , another new gymnasium had been completed in beijing.
29. when and where to go for the on—salary holiday has not been decided.
30. i wonder why jenny hasn’t written us recently. we should have heard from her by now.
31. he will have learned english for eight years by the time he graduates from the university next year.
32. i feel it is your husband who is to blame for the spoiled child.
33. rainforests are being cut and burned at such a speed that they will disappear from the earth in the near future.
34. it will not be long before we know the result of the experiment.
35. selecting a mobile phone for personal use is no easy task because technology is changing so rapidly.
36. in such dry weather, the flowers will have to be watered if they are to survive.
37. hundreds of jobs will be lost if the factory closes.
38. a new cinema is being built here .they hope to finish it next month.
39. the reporter said that the ufo was traveling east to west when he saw it.
40. all the preparations for the task have been completed, and we are really to start.
41. try some of the juice——perhaps you will like it.
42. the price has gone down, but i doubt whether it will remain so .
43. no sooner had he got to the lab than he set out to do the experiment.
44. helen had left her key in the office, so she had to wait until her husband came back home.
45. an awful accident did, however, occur the other day.
46. in some western countries, demand for graduates from mba courses has fallen down.
47. the evening news comes on at seven o’clock and lasts only thirty minutes.
48. it was not a serious illness , and she soon got over it.
49. the final examination is coming up soon. it is time for us to get down to our studies.
50. john was late for the business meeting because his flight had been delayed by a heavy storm.
51. the internet has brought about big changes in the way we work.
52. lose one hour in the morning and you will be looking for it in the rest of the day.
53. i am sure that laura’s latest play , once staged, will prove a great success.
54. i don’t mind picking up your things from the store. besides, the walk will do me good.
55. people may have different opinions about mary, but i admire her. after all, she is a great musician.
56. i want to know whether the thief was caught on the spot.
57. our club is open to adults only. it seems that your children have entered without permission.
58. you are saying that everyone should be equal, and this is where i disagree.
59. a modern city has been set up in what was a wasteland ten years ago.
60. i think father would like to know what i’ve been up to so far, so i decide to write him a letter.
61. parents are taught to understand how important education is to their children’s future.
62. the other day, my brother drove his car down the street at what i thought was a dangerous speed.
63. along with the letter was his promise that he would visit me this coming christmas.
64. there is a new problem involved in the popularity of private cars that road conditions need to be improved.
65. what made the school proud was that more than 90% of the students had been admitted to key universities.
66. perseverance is a kind of quality and that’s what it takes to do anything well.
67. that fashion differs from country to country may reflect the cultural differences from one aspect.
68. what she couldn’t understand was why fewer and fewer students showed interest in her lessons.
69. it was a matter of who would take the position.
70. whether we’ll go camping tomorrow depends on the weather.
71. do you still remember the farm (that) we visited three months ago?
72. the journey around the world took the old sailor nine months, during which the sailing time was 226 days.
73. there were dirty marks on her trousers where she had wiped her hands.
74. there are altogether eleven books on the shelf, of which five are mine.
75. helen was much kinder to her youngest son than to the others, which, of course, made the others envy him.
76. as is often the case, we have worked out the production plan.
77. there was a time when i hated to go to school.
78. there are two buildings, the larger of which stands nearly a hundred feet high.
79. what surprised me was not what he said but the way he said it.
80. a fast food restaurant is the place where, just as the name suggests, eating is performed quickly.
81. don’t leave the water running while you brush your teeth.
82. the flu is believed to be caused by viruses that like to reproduce in the cells inside the human nose and throat.
83. having been attacked
by terrorists, the tall building collapsed.
84. attracted by the beauty of nature, the girl from london decided to spend another two days on the farm.
85. the man insisted on finding a taxi for me even though i told him i lived nearby.
86. stand over there and you will be able to see it better.
87. the accident is reported to have occurred on the first day in february.
88. why! i have nothing to confess. what is it that you want to say?
89. there are many kinds of sports, but my favorite is swimming.
90. he got to the station early for fear of missing his train.
91. my english-chinese dictionary has disappeared. who could have taken it?
92. it has been announced that candidates shall remain in their seats until all the papers have been collected.
93. oh, i am not feeling well in the stomach. i should not have eaten so much fried chicken just now.
94. i was really anxious about you. you should not have left home without a word.
95. you can not imagine that a well-behaved gentleman should be so rude to a lady.
96. mr bush is on time for everything. how can it be that he was late for the opening ceremony?
97. my sister met him at the grand theater yesterday afternoon, so he could not have attended your lecture.
98. there was a lot of fun at yesterday’s party. you ought to have come, but why didn’t you?
99. the fire spread through the hotel very quickly but everyone was able to get out.
100. when he was there, he would go to that coffee shop at the corner after work every day.
101. it is certain that he will hand over his business to his son when he gets old.
102. on hearing the news of the accident in the coal mine, she went pale.
103. we have to get in the wheat as soon as possible because a storm is on the way.
104. once a decision has been made, all of us should stick to it.
105. helen always helps her mother even though going to school takes up most of her day.
106. if anybody calls, tell them i am out, and ask them to leave their names and addresses.
107. don’t mention that at the beginning of the story, or it may give away the shocking ending.
108. the idea puzzled me so much that i stopped for a few seconds to try to make it out.
109. the taxi driver often reminds passengers to take their belongings when they leave the car.
110. it is so nice to hear from her. believe it or not, we last met more than thirty years ago.
111. be careful when you cross this very busy street. if not, you may get run over by a car.
112. his mother had thought it would be good for his character to get away from home and earn some money on his own.
113. as we joined the big crowd, i got separated from my friends.
114. would you slow down a bit please? i can not keep up with you.
115. nick is looking for another job because nothing he does satisfies his boss.
116. watch him and then try to copy what he does.
117. she looked up his number in the phone book to make sure that she had got it right.
118. it is wise to have some money put away for old age.
119. the thing that matters is not whether you fail or not, but whether you try or not.
120. have a good rest, and you need to save your energy for the tennis match this afternoon.
121. i have lost one of my gloves. i must have dropped it somewhere.
122. according to the local regulations, anyone who intends to get a driver’s license must get an eye test.
123. i often see lights in that empty house. do you think i should report it to the police?
124. mr white should have arrived at 8:30 for the meeting, but he didn’t show up.
125. children under 12 years of age in that country must be under adult supervision when in a public library.
126. i should pay mary a visit, but i’m not sure whether i will have time this sunday.
127. “the interest shall be divided into five parts, according to the agreement made by both sides,” declared the judge.
128. you might just as well tell the manufacturer that male customers may not like the design of the furniture.
129. a left-luggage office is a place where bags can be left for a short time, especially at a railway station.
130. how can you say that you really understand the whole story if you have covered only part of the article?
131. new york, which i visited last year, is a nice old city.
132. we are living in an age when many things are done on computer.
133. as has been announced, we shall have our final exams next month.
134. the famous basketball star, who tired to make a comeback, attracted a lot of attention.
135. he is the only one of the students who has been a winner of scholarship for three years.
136. is this the reason that he explained at the meeting for his carelessness in his work?
137. as is known to everybody, the moon travels round the earth once every month.
138. he has got himself into a dangerous situation where he is likely to lose control over the plane.
139. john said he’d been working in the office for an hour, which was true.
140. have you seen the film “titanic,” whose leading actor is world famous?
141. it is almost five years since we saw each other last time.
142. don’t leave the sharp knife where our little jane can get it.
143. i do every single bit of housework, while my husband bob just does the dishes now and then.
144. roses need special care so that they can live through winter.
145. several weeks had gone by before i realized the painting was missing.
146. mary was holidaying with her family in a wildlife park when she was bitten on the leg by a lion.
147. parents should take seriously their children’s requests for sunglasses because eye protection is necessary in sunny weather.
148. while i accept that he is not perfect, i do actually like the person.
149. scientists say it may be five or six years before it is possible to test this medicine on human patients.
150. you should try to get a good night’s sleep however much work you have to do.
151. you can eat food free in my restaurant whenever you like.
152. as far as i can see, there is only one possible way to keep away from the danger.
153. however amusing the story is, i have to put it away and focus my attention on study this week.
154. don’t be afraid of asking for help when it is needed.
155. he made a mistake, but then he corrected the situation before it got worse.
156.a s long as i know the money is safe, i shall not worry about it.
157. he was about to tell me the secret when someone patted him on the shoulder.
158. much as i have traveled, i have never seen anyone who is as capable as john.
159. the men will have to wait all day unless the doctor works faster.
160. i gave the money to mary the moment i saw her.
161. with so much work on hand, you shouldn’t have gone to see the game last night.
162. tom could have passed the exam, but he wasn’t careful enough.
163. the road was muddy. it must have rained last night.
164. i would have liked to give you a valuable present for your birthday, but i was short of money.
165. if it should snow tomorrow, they couldn’t go out.
166. many people agree that a knowledge of english is a must in international trade today.
167. not until all the fish died in the river did the villagers realize how serious the pollution was.
168. when a pencil is partly in a glass of water, it looks as if it were broken.
169. the visiting minister expressed his satisfaction with the talks, adding that he had enjoyed his stay here.
170. the missing boy was last seen playing near the river.
171. this is a book whose cover is blue/the cover of which is blue.
172. when do you think he will come?
173. only when you realized the importance of english can you learn it well.
174. mary was always speaking highly of her role in the play, which, of course, made the others unhappy.
175. the professor gave us another wonderful talk, which i think is of great importance to our english study.
176. the telephone had been ringing for two minutes before it was answered.
177. my sister wants to work in the power plant which is still being built.
178. my car broke down last week and i still haven’t had it repaired.
179. i was washing my face when suddenly someone knocked at the door.
180. i will have finished my work by the end of next week.
181. tom ought not to have told me your secret, but he meant no harm.
182. we offered him our congratulations on his passing the college entrance exams.
183. his father sent him to study law, but instead he developed his love for the theater.
184. with two exams to worry about, i have to work really hard this weekend.
185. not having received a reply, he decided to write again.
186. i’m so sorry that he should be so careless.
187. not until i began to work did i realize how much time i had wasted.
188. while you are reading, it is a good idea to make a mark where necessary.
189. father advised me not to say anything until asked at the meeting.
190. the film brought the hours back to me when i was taken good care of in that far away village.
191. if the dictionary is not yours, who else’s can it be?
192. we thought of selling this old furniture, but we have decided to hold on to it. it might be valuable.我们本来想卖掉这件旧家具的，但是我们已经决定留下它了，它可能有价值的。
193. meeting mu uncle after all these days was an unforgettable moment, one i will always treasure.咋那些年后见到我的叔叔是个难忘的时刻，我将永远记得这个时刻。
194. news reports say peace talks between the two countries have broken down with no agreement reached.
195. to enjoy the scenery, she would rather spend long hours on the train than travel by air.
196.itis the ability to do the job that matters not where you come from or what you are.
197. my name is robert, but most of my friends call me bob for short.
198.email, as well as telephones, is playing an important part in daily communication.
199.as we joined the big crowd i got separated from my friends.
200.the car accident was similar to the one that happened in 1973.
201. everyone was surprised to see the buildings finished so soon.
202. they were happy to hear the work already done.
203.i prefer staying at home watching tv to going shopping out.
204. the film reminded him of what he had seen in paris.
205.they realize that it is of great value to record and teach them to the young generation.
206.the doctor advised me to take more exercise.
207. work harder and you will find it not difficult to learn.
208. you can’t stop him doing what he wants.
209.faced with a difficult situation, tom decided to ask his boss for advice.
210. accustomed to climbing the steep mountains, he had no difficulty reaching the top.
211.the purpose of new technology is to make life easier, not to make it more difficult.
212. when first introduced to the market, these products enjoyed greatest success.
213. alice returned from the manager’s office telling me that the boss wanted to see me at once.
214.my teacher encouraged me to take a summer course to improve my writing skills.
215.having in waited in the queue for half an hour, tom suddenly realized that he had left his wallet at home.
216.you will succeed in the end unless you give up half way.
217. someone called me up in the middle of the night, but they hung up before i could answer the phone.
218.she found her calculator where she lost it.
219.i know nothing about the young lady except that she is from beijing.
220. as far as i know, they live in the same neighborhood.
221. on top of the books is the photo album you’re looking for.
222.maybe you have been to many countries, but nowhere else can you find such a beautiful place.
223. i failed in the final examination last term and only then did i realize the importance of studies.
224. the old couple have been married for 40 years and never once have they quarreled with each other.
225.only when your identity has been checked will you be allowed in.
226.not only is the teacher himself interested in football but all his students are beginning to show an interest in it.
227. so difficult did i feel it to live in an english-speaking country that i determined to learn english.
228. not a single song did she sing at yesterday’s party.
229. i finally got the job i dreamed about. never in all my life had i felt so happy!
230. don’t be discouraged. take things as they are and you will enjoy every day of your life.
231. when mark opened the door, he saw a woman standing there. he had never seen her before.
232.i’ve phoned my sister three times today but her line was always busy.
233.telephones messages for the manager were left on her desk but she didn’t notice them.
234. let’s keep to the point or we will never reach any decisions.
235. sarah, hurry up. i’m afraid you can’t have time to get changed before the party.
236. according to the art dealer, the painting is expected to go for at least a million dollars.
237. the house could fall down soon if no one does some quick repair work.
238. more patients have been treated in hospital this year than last year.
239. sales of cds have greatly increased since the early 1990s, when people began to enjoy the advantages of this new technology.
240. the discussion came alive when an interesting topic was brought in.
241.because the shop is closing down, all the t-shirts are sold at half price.
242.she has set a new record, that is, the sales of her latest book have reached 50 million.
243. go straight on and you’ll see a church. you won’t miss it.
244.all the employees except the manger are encouraged to work online at home.
245.the crazy fans had been waiting patiently for two hours, and they would wait till the movie star arrived.
246.she changed her hairstyle in her hometown before she came to chongqing for a better job.
247. how can you possibly miss the news? it has been on tv all day long。
248. i arrived late. i hadn’t expected the road to be so icy.
249. i fell asleep while reading the english textbook. luckily, my roommate woke me up in time.我
250.although he has lived with us for years, he hasn’t left us much impression.
251. all morning as she waited for the medical report from the doctor, her nervousness grew.
252. why don’t you put the meat in the fridge? it will stay fresh for several days.
253.at this time tomorrow we’ll be flying over the atlantic.
254. how long have david and vicky been married?
255. the news came as no surprise to me. i had known for some time that the factory was going to shut down.